High-Speed Internet Installation Instructions & FAQs
How do I self-install my modem?
See full instructions here
Take the coax cable that’s connected to your wall outlet (or splitter) and connect it to the cable connector on your modem. Plug the power cord supplied with your new modem into the back of your modem and then into a power outlet. (Avoid using a switched outlet and/or extension cord.) Your modem’s set-up process will begin, as indicated by a series of flashing lights on the front. When set-up is complete, three steady lights will appear.
What should I do if my modem won’t turn on?
Verify the unit is plugged in and the outlet it is plugged into is not switched off. If the unit is plugged into a power strip, try a different outlet or bypass the strip completely.
How do I reset my modem?
Press the modem reset button on the back of your modem for 10 seconds, then release. This initiates a factory reset, which changes your wireless configurations back to default settings (Wireless active, Network name, Preshared Key matching the sticker).
What if my modem won’t connect to the Internet?
Unplug your modem from the power outlet for 30 seconds, plug back in. Give it two minutes to reboot. Make sure the cable connection at the modem and the wall outlet are tight.
How do I connect to the Internet?
Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the modem. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into your computer, hub, or router.
Have your modem nearby, as you’ll need to refer to the sticker on it for information.
- Using a wireless device (computer, tablet, smartphone, or other device), navigate to the list of available Wi-Fi networks. Choose the TDS-named Wi-Fi network (SSID) that matches what is printed on the sticker on your modem.
- Enter the Preshared Key found on the sticker.
You’ll need to update your wireless devices with this Wi-Fi information in order to connect. OR, you can rename your Wi-Fi network and change the password to something previously used, so you don’t have to adjust settings on all your devices. Here’s how to do that:
- In the address bar of an Internet browser, type http://192.168.0.1 and press enter.
- On the modem’s main screen, enter the Login and Password listed on your modem’s sticker. (These are different from the Wi-Fi network name and Preshared Key you used to connect to the Wi-Fi.)
- Click Login.
- The System Basic Setup Screen appears.
- Change the Network Name (SSID) field as desired.
- Enable WPA2-PSK.
- Enter a new WPA Preshared Key/Wi-Fi Password as desired.
- Click Apply.
NOTE: Changing your Wi-Fi network name and password invalidates the information displayed on your modem’s sticker.